Enjoy all the amazing scenery of the Great Ocean Road, including a guided eco tour of the ancient rainforest in the Great Otway National Park. Wonder at the iconic rock formations of the Port Campbell National Park, including the famous 12 Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge and London Bridge.
Departing Melbourne at around 08:00 we enjoy panoramic views of the city and Port Phillip Bay as we cross the Westgate Bridge, Australia's longest at just under 2.6 kilometers in length.
We pass through and learn a little about Victoria's second largest city, Geelong, as we make our way down towards the Surf Coast, with its enchanting beach side towns and powerful swells.
At Bells Beach, we stop to appreciate this world famous surfing break and to immerse ourselves in a bit of the local surfing culture. This is truly one of the world's premier surfing spots and attracts board-riders from far and wide. Departing Bells Beach we set out along the Great Ocean Road itself, as your experienced driver-guide provides an informative commentary about the road's history and its place in Australian folklore.
The scenic journey along the Great Ocean Road is a highlight in itself, as we absorb some truly amazing coastal scenery, with new views being revealed around every bend. We make plenty of scenic stops, including of course a photo opportunity at the Great Ocean Road Memorial Arch at Eastern View.
At the township of Kennet River we make a brief side trip into the sweetly-scented eucalyptus forest to locate some of the local koalas in the native habitat. The koala population here is particularly strong and numerous sightings are guaranteed! We also have an opportunity here to feed the colorful local bird life, with Crimson Rosellas and King Parrots always keen for a handful of sunflower seeds.
We then continue on towards our lunch stop in Apollo Bay with another photo stop at Cape Patten on the way.
After lunch we follow the Great Ocean Road away from the ocean and into the mountains. The tour proceeds through the spectacular Otway Ranges, where we stop to enjoy a stroll in the cool temperate rainforest at Maits Rest. Here our guide accompanies the group through the forest, where we stop to learn a little about the world's tallest flowering trees and the ancient rainforest species.
And then it's onwards to the world famous Port Campbell National Park and its iconic array of rock formations. You'll be awestruck by the majestic monoliths of the Twelve Apostles. Here we also have the opportunity to take to the air with an optional helicopter flight.
Just down the road is the heart of the Shipwreck Coast, the Loch Ard Gorge where 52 lives were lost and only 2 souls survived the wreck of the Loch Ard in 1878. Your guide will recount the legend of the Loch Ard, bringing the gorge to life in a way you never imagined. We take time to explore here, with more rock formations to see, including the Razorback, the Dumpling Pots and the delightful Island Archway.
Our final sightseeing destination is the collapsed London Bridge, where two holiday makers were stranded when the first arch collapsed in 1990.
The journey back is a great chance to upload photo's, send E-Postcards, and research your next destination as we offer the first in free Wi Fi on board all our Melbourne day tours. A dinner stop is made before enjoying a stunning view of the illuminated city as we cross the Westgate Bridge again on the way home.
With drop off right back to your inner city accommodation, you'll remember this day as a true highlight of your Australian holiday.
* Scenic helicopter flight from the 12 Apostles, taking in aerial views of the Port Campbell National Park including the 12 Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge and the Baker's Oven.
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Free Wi Fi on all our coaches
- Transportation on deluxe coach vehicles
- Scenic drive along the Great Ocean Road
- Guided eco-tour of the Great Otway National Park Rainforest
- Visit of the iconic rock formations of the Port Campbell National Park
- Personal video service on homeward journey.
- All entry fees and taxes
- Expert guide and commentary
- Multi-lingual tour commentary available in 13 different languages at no extra charge
- Scenic helicopter flight from the 12 Apostles, depending on option chosen
- Meals and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
- Optional activity costs
- Children under 4 years are carried free of charge, provided parent or guardian is prepared to carry child on their lap in the event all other seats are occupied.
- Pick up times vary between 07:00 and 08:00. Please reconfirm 24 hours prior to your tour date to receive your specific pick up time.
- Audio translation services in Cantonese, Korean, Arabic, Russian, Italian, German, Thai, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, French, Spanish, Malaysian are available upon request (no extra charge).